Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Charlotte Collins" by Jennifer Becton

I finished another book. I just could not put it down! It was "Charlotte Collins" by Jennifer Becton. I found it, thanks to the Nook. I love that thing, but then you already know that if you have read my other blogs.

I am sucker for anything Pride and Prejudice related. I love the movies and the books. I am not so much of a purist that it only can be a book for Jane Austen herself. Those characters are wonderful and it is great to read other stuff. Some better than others, but doesn't that go without saying? (I did just say it, or rather wrote it, typed it, whatever.)

This book is about Elizabeth Bennett's friend Charlotte Lucas, who marries the terrible Mr. Collins. Don't worry that the book is about Mr. Collins, it is not!! The book starts with the funeral of Mr. Collins. So Charlotte is now single and trying to figure out her life. Still not wanting to be a burden on her parents. Her sister Maria is in this story and Charlotte agrees to be her chaperone so that Maria may have a social life. They go through some trials and of course go to a ball or two, and you must have a game of whist thrown in there as well. This is a really good read. It was fun to have Charlotte's character developed further. I know it is someone else's interpretation and not Austen's. I thought the author did a good job with what Austen detailed in Pride and Prejudice about Charlotte. She chose for her time. Women did not have a lot of choices. Reading books about this era really make me grateful. They make me think of what women went through. So much was decided for them. They did not have a lot to pick from. I see why Charlotte would have chosen what she did with Mr. Collins. Those choices led her to what happens in this book. It is right in the vein of Austen though because the end is good. It ends with love for Charlotte, she deserves it!

No comments: